During a May 1,special meeting of the Centralia Park Board, members unanimously voted to keep its pools closed this summer.
They also, however agreed open the parks and Centralia Recreation Center to the best of the department’s ability while adhering to Boone County COVID-19 restrictions.
Erle Bennett, park department director also said he intended to include little-league baseball and softball on the list of summer park activities, but they have since been cancelled by their organizing bodies, but he is attempting to accommodate some use of the park department’s batting cages and possible related activities.
Regarding the pools, Bennett said the county was willing to review proposals to open pools, but the process revealed questions with expensive and uncomfortable answers.
• How do you save lives using social distancing?
• How do you do CPR with social distancing?
• How do you do swim lessons and swim team?
• They would not be able to use the diving boards, the splash pads or the slide tube
• Items such as tables, chairs and other frequently-touched items would require constant sterilization, how many people do you employ to maintain that and social distancing?
For the complete article, see this week’s edition of the Centralia Fireside Guard.