An audience of eight witnessed the March 8 meeting of the Centralia R-VI Board of Education.
Finance and the future of the valedictorian and salutatorian system were among the main topics.
The star of the show may have been Centralia High School Principal Matt Smith’s presentation
on the Cum Laude honors recognition system as a replacement for the current valedictorian/salutatorian system used by CHS.
Switching to it, he said offered at least five advantages.
• Recognition of more student accomplishment
• Provides motivation to an increased proportion of our students
• Creates consistent standards and expectations
• Promotes positive educations decision making for top students
• Advantages for students in college application and scholarship process.
As part of the discussion he provided an analysis of previous student body performance.
For the complete article, see this week’s edition of the Centralia Fireside Guard.